Tuesday, February 1

Australia Day!

So much has happened in the past week of my life! I moved into an amazing hostel called St. Christopher's Inn on Monday and stayed there for an entire week. It was much better than my previous hostel, ALOHA! The people were really cool and the bar was really fun (in moderation of course). I met some cool Aussie's who were celebrating Australia Day on January 26th. I happened to be in the wifi cafe trying to skype some folks and overheard them trying to guess whether I was American or French... then they called out "Ayy Mate!" and I let them know I was from Chicago. The day kept going and before I knew it there 12 people sitting around 3 small cafe tables topped with empty beer bottles. I met another Chicagoan girl Wesley that was traveling for two months! France was her last stop before returning to the city for work.  I was really excited to meet a fellow black American (no offense to all the other great peeps), Rhonda who was quite interested to spark a conversation when she saw my laptop displaying K-A- Psi. We had a conversation about the differences in greek life between Howard and U of I. She was a really cool person who had an interesting story about how she ended up in France. She told me she flipped through a magazine it landed on a page and she decided if she can save up a enough money in 2 months she was going and that's exactly what she did. I found it interesting that this was the same way she made her decision to go to Howard! I think I might use this method of chance and put the countries across Europe in a hat and just pull one out to see where I will make my next trip. After a great afternoon chatting with Aussie's and fellow Americans I went out to a bar called Cafe Auss and I had a great time with Wesley and another girl I met Meghan who was originally from California but staying in Texas( she said I had to mention her that way). I did discover that Guiness tastes like piss and I will probably be sticking with Light Beer for a while. We met a few guys that were on the tour through Paris the previous day and lets just say the night got really interesting. For one, this guy kept getting us shots of everything which were pretty good, but what shocked me the most was his offer at the end of the night. It was about 12am and we were about to leave and he offered Wesley and me Coke... and I am not talking about the one you drink. I must say that was a little too much for me to indulge in so I grabbed Wesley and Meghan and we chucked the deuces. I finished that night by landing on my bed and going to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment